Friday, April 15, 2011

Ali Baba and the 4 Thieves

Finally got to check out Aladdin's Cafe.  We used to go there a lot when it was Cafe Rumi.  Ironic name for the smallest restaurant ever.  Haha...  Anyways, LOVED the food at Cafe Rumi.  Still get it every once in a while when my mom brings it from Sprint.  One of the old owners still has a stand in the canteen there.  Very good.  But not the full menu of items it used to have at the restaurant.

It was a chaotic turn of events going to eat dinner, I was dead set on just staying home, but after many twists and turns in the day, I did eventually go out to meet my friends there.  I would've been so sad if they went without me anyways.  Perfect day in KC too.  Light breeze, warm temperatures.  Aladdin's is situated in what looks like an old house.  The seating area outside seems like it's the old driveway, with the garage door closed.  The inside first floor is split between the kitchen and a few tables, and the upstairs is small quaint dining area.  Like I said, one of the smallest restaurants.  But we sat outside so you don't feel as cramped.

I would say the food still stands tall with the change of ownership.  BUT, I think Rumi's still had a better menu and food, just small differences, it might just be the memories more than the food.  But the food was still kick-ass.  The kifta was soo good and juicy.  Hummus was smooth and creamy with this really good jalepeno puree.  Pita was inside with a light toast on outside.  The greek salad was made with this housemade dressing, that I think they use cilantro pureed in it too.  It reminded me of this India-n inspired marinade that my Tabagan/Trinidadian friend made me once.  I feel like there's onions, lemons, cilantro mixed in there.  So good.  And a very unique dressing.

They still have rice pudding too!  So good..  but I missed the pistachio they used to add to the top.  Not to be nitpicky.  Stating opinions always make you sound that way.  Hahha.. Still good and sweet.  Wished I had this spoon at the end though.... I could scrape the last bit of it if I did.


Rubber Baby Spoon


No comments:

Post a Comment