Saturday, April 23, 2011

Boogaloo in the Bodegoo

I know my one fan is very sad I'm not updating my posts as faithfully as I did when I first started.  But I'm not gone forever so here I am back updating on the fabulous eats we had in treat.

This week was all kinds of bar foods.  Too unhealthy and too much.  But you gotta love it.  Fox N Hound twice in one week!  BWW not on  a Tuesday.  Being out and about makes me want to stay out.  But need to go into a hermit life.  Had a chest and head cold all week, but continued on my playing ways.  At least I didn't drink.  That would've caused havoc on my health.  And my soul during Holy Week.  Soon, though, lent will be over and I will be back to my dollar menu at McD's and going to try out the hot dogs at Sonic and grab some Wendy's spicy nuggets and Jr. Whopper at Burger King.  And ESPECIALLY some ice cream.  Any drive thru.  No more bar foods and fancy happy hours.  Hahhaa... just kidding.

I say though, Fox and Hound has some good bar foods.  Very consistent and good.  Especially their wings and pretzels..  BWW of course has good wings, but mainly it's about their sauce.  Their wings can be too small, this week it was pretty good sized.  But my favorite there is the mini corn dogs with their honey mustard.  YUM!  I was hoping they'd have their happy hour at night, but the bartender said it was only on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Sad... half off their nachos and mini dogs was great.  But like I said, we were there not on a Tuesday but a Wednesday.  Random.

But Friday was worth a blog entry.  Hahah... We went to Sullivan's and then to La Bodega South.  Coming from some good prayer time for Good Friday service, we were going to go to La Bodega, but the wait was 2 hours long... So we waited.  At Sullivan's.  The steak house.  But I was so hungry, I progressed my dinner.  Starting with some crab artichoke dip, blue cheese chips, sliced steak, and gnocchi.  Okay, so just the gnocchi and chips I ordered, the rest were others that I tasted.  All were great.  Prices from $8-10.  Kinda high for appetizers, but having a small sliced steak on some spinach for $10 is a good price.  The chips were amazing though.  Good blue cheese, Maytag, I think.  Blue cheese is one of the cheeses you have to have a good one to appreciate it.  Otherwise, there's a lot of pungency going on that you won't like if you're not used to it.  The dip was too salty, I guess crab and artichoke are two very salty things that didn't die down in a dip.  This was the first time at Sullivan's, not a bad experience.  I don't think I would go here regularly though.  Their Thursdays are $5 martini nights, and I hear all the hot divorcees of Leawood/OP are out for.  I'm too Shawnee for that.  Hahha...

Finally we headed over to the Bodega, but our table was still not available. But the whole place was open and free to roam about.  They set out tables everywhere and it was still pretty crowded at like 9:30pm.  We didn't get to sit until 10pm which was exactly 2  hours from when we started.  Just the last 10 minutes was kind of a b* to wait though.  Finally sat, same table as last time I was there, other than the time in the glass box room.  About nine of us and we ordered about 14 small plates.  This I thought was a lot considering I just ate an appetizer to my appetizers right before.  But we could've maybe gone without 2 dishes.  Pigs! I say, I always eat with pigs!  Hahhaa... Good to get a full feel of their tapas menu.  The solomollio, I think, was the one  that I thought was fabulous last time I ate it, and was excited the head orderer ordered it.  Though I can't pronounce it.  But does have a blue cheese.  The elotes there was really good too.. hard to shared though.. I just slice off the corn kernels instead and eat it like cheesy corn.  Soo good.. had to eat off the rest on cobb.  A slight variance from mexican corn because they don't used queso fresca.  But whatever cheese they use, was really good.  Love the meatballs and especially the sauce they come in.  Must make sure there's bread to soak it up.  And the potatoes is always a must.  I'm always looking for the small crispy ones.  Sangria looked pretty good, and mojitos... mm... mojitos... they brought the recipe from the old re:Verse days.  Sad that it's been replaced by a pizza/wine bar on the Plaza.  Almost all the spanish/mexican  inspired places are gone there.  Hopefully the new tenants of MiCocina can hurry and open their contemporary mexican restarant.  Plaza lost a lot of flava.

There were many more dishes, but I can't recall most of it.. and always a not faithful picture documenter.  It was good though.  La Bodega is one of the best places for tapas.  Avenues Bistro was our original plan because Friday and Saturday nights they have a late happy hour menu.  Which, last time we went, was soo good.  But, being me and the other constant mediator in our group, agreed on La Bodega as a happy middle between Avenues and Capital Grille bar.  It did not disappoint, as usual, and the wait was not that bad because it was just a little wait after the other half of our group arrived around 9:30pm.  

Tha-tha-tha's all folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment